Mary E. Dankoski, Ph.D.
Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs and Professional Development; Vice Chair for Faculty and Academic Affairs, Department of Family Medicine; and Lester D. Bibler Scholar and Associate Professor of Family Medicine
Area of Interest/Specialty:
- Undergraduate School: University of Michigan, Psychology
- Graduate School: Purdue University, Child Development and Family Studies, Specialization in Marriage and Family Therapy
- College and University Work/Family Association, 2011-present
- North American Primary Care Research Group, 2009-present
- Association of American Medical Colleges, Group on Faculty Affairs, 2006-present
Member, Professional Development and Program Planning Committee, 2011-2014
- Association of American Medical Colleges, Group on Women in Medicine and Science, 2007
IU School of Medicine Liaison
- American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy
Chair, Council of Division Presidents (Executive Board Member), 2007-2008
Member, Executive Board Audit Committee, 2007-2008
Member, Council of Division Presidents, 2005-2006
Approved Supervisor, 2004-2008
Clinical Member, 2001
Student Member , 1994-2000
- Indiana Association for Marriage and Family Therapy
Chair, Conference Committee, 2001-2003
Clinical Member, 2001
Student Member, 1994-2000
- Association of Departments of Family Medicine, 2009-2011
- Society of Teachers of Family Medicine
Active Non-Physician Member, 2001
Member, Group on Behavioral Science, 2001
Member, Group on Faculty Development, 2001
Member, Subcommittee for Research/Evaluation, Group on Faculty Development, 2005-present
- Society for Executive Leadership in Academic Medicine
Representative, IU School of Medicine Institutional Membership, 2008
- National Council on Family Relations
Associate Member, 2001-2005
Student Member, 1998-2000
Section Membership: Family Therapy, Feminism & Family Studies, Families & Health
- American Balint Society, 2001-2003
- Collaborative Family Healthcare Association, 2002-2005
- Fellow, Hedwig van Ameringen Executive Leadership in Academic Medicine (ELAM) Program for Women, 2010-May 2011
- Alumni Commitment to Excellence Award, Department of Behavioral Sciences, Purdue University Calumet, 2010
- Women in Medicine Leadership Award (Organization Category), Association of American Medical Colleges, Nov 2009
- Outstanding Service Award, Council of Division Presidents, American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy, 2008
- Exemplary Dossier, Indiana University School of Medicine, Promotion & Long-Term Contract Committee, 2007
- Outstanding Service and Dedication Award, Indiana Association for Marriage & Family Therapy, 2007
- Invited attendee, Leadership Conference, American Association for Marriage & Family Therapy, 2004-2006
- Dissertation Award, American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy, 2002
- Hershel Thornburg Dissertation Award Finalist, Society for Research on Adolescence, 2001
- Norma Compton Outstanding Doctoral Student Award, Purdue University, 2000
- Henry A. Murray Dissertation Award, Radcliffe College, Harvard University, 2000
- Invited Presenter at the "Spotlight on Graduate Research" at Purdue University Calumet, 1997
- Graduate Research Award, Purdue University Calumet, 1996
- Graduate Student Research Award, Indiana Association for Marriage and Family Therapy, 1996
- Graduated from the University of Michigan with High Distinction, 1992
- Michigan Competitive Scholarship Award, 1988-1992
- Class Honors, University of Michigan, 1988-1992
- Member, Psi Chi Honors Fraternity, 1989-1992
PRINCIPAL INVESTIGATOR/PROJECT DIRECTOR
- Dankoski ME (P.I). Indiana Association for Marriage and Family Therapy Graduate Research Award. Indiana Association for Marriage and Family Therapy, Indianapolis, Indiana. $250. April 1996.
- Dankoski ME (P.I.). Purdue University Calumet Graduate Research Award. Graduate Department, Purdue University Calumet, Hammond, Indiana. $750. August 1996.
- Dankoski ME (P.I.). Henry A. Murray Dissertation Award. Henry A. Murray Research Center, Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University. $3,184. June 2000.
- Dankoski ME (P.I.) Legislative Grant for the Indiana Association for Marriage & Family Therapy. Funded by the American Association for Marriage & Family Therapy. 1/1/05 – 12/31/05. $4,000.
- Dankoski ME (P.I.) Legislative Grant for the Indiana Association for Marriage & Family Therapy. Funded by the American Association for Marriage & Family Therapy. 1/1/06 – 12/31/06. $4,000.
- Dankoski ME (P.I.), Grannis S. Outpatient Precepting in Family Medicine Residency Education: Understanding and Improving the Teaching and Learning Process. Funded by the Indiana Medical Education Board. 10/1/06 – 6/30/07. $5,000.
- O'Hara BS (P.I.), Dankoski M, Saywell R, Zoppi KA. "Training Future Physicians to Provide Effective Tobacco Cessation Counseling," Indiana Tobacco Prevention & Cessation Executive Board. 6/1/02 – 5/31/04. $280,902.
- O'Hara BS (P.I.), Dankoski ME, Saywell RM, Zollinger TW, Zoppi KA. "Effective Intervention for Unhealthy Behaviors: Training Future Physicians in Motivational Interviewing." Health Resources and Services Administration. 7/1/02 – 6/30/05. $275,331.
- Zoppi KA (P.I.), Bogdewic SP, Dankoski ME, Kelton GM, Pais S, Willis DR, Rhyant RH, Saywell RM, Zollinger TW. "Faculty Development in Underserved Medicine Leadership." Health Resources and Services Administration. 7/1/02 – 6/30/05. $587,538.
- Pais S (P.I.), Dankoski ME, Zoppi KA. "Evaluating the Effectiveness of Counseling Practicum in Improving Physician-Patient Communication Skills, Physician-Patient Relational Skills, and Physician Empathy." Educational Research and Development Grant, Indiana University School of Medicine, Office of Medical Education and Curricular Affairs. 7/1/03 – 6/30/04. $10,000.
- Bogdewic, S.B. (P.I.). Dankoski, M.E., Palmer, M.M., Brutkiewicz, R.R., Logio, L. Faculty Vitality Study. (Biennial assessments of faculty satisfaction, productivity, and engagement through surveys, focus groups, and semi-structured interviews). Funded internally through the Dean's Office for Faculty Affairs and Professional Development.
- Bogdewic, S.B. (P.I.); Palmer, M.M., Dankoski, M.E., Brutkiewicz, R.R. "Next Generation @ IUPUI"(An intensive, one year leadership development program for under-represented minority faculty members on the IUPUI campus). Funded for a one-year pilot program by Indiana University President Michael McRobbie's Diversity Initiative. 2009-2010. $50,000.
- Palmer, M.M. (P.I.), Dankoski, ME, Hoffmann-Longtin, K. "Expanding the Concept of Faculty Vitality." Professional and Organizational Development (POD) Network. 2010 – 2011. $2,500
- Renshaw, S.E., (PI), Dankoski, M.E. (co-I), Holley, M.D., Palmer, M.M., Kiovsky, R.D., Custer, J., Burba, JL, Cooper, SL. Advancing Medically Underserved Student Training (A-MUST) Project. Predoctoral Training in Primary Care Program, Primary Care Training and Enhancement Grants, Health Resources and Services Administration. $783,810 (Funded September 2011-2016).
- Pais, S. & Dankoski, M. E. (2011). What's love got to do with it?: Couples, Illness, and MFT. In J. Wetchler (Second Ed.) Handbook of Clinical Issues in Couple Therapy, pp 57-73. New York: Routledge, Taylor and Francis.
- Palmer, M.M., Dankoski, M.E., Smith, J.S., Logio, L.S., Brutkiewicz, R.R., Bogdewic, S.P. (2011) Exploring Changes in Culture and Vitality: The Outcomes of Faculty Development. Journal of Faculty Development, 25 (1), 21-27.
- Dankoski, M.E., Palmer, M.M., Nelson-Laird, T., Garver, A., Bogdewic, S.P. (Dec 2011) An Expanded Model of Faculty Vitality in Academic Medicine. Advances in Health Science Education, Digital Object Identifer (DOI): 10.1007/s10459-011-9339-7. Available: http://www.springerlink.com/openurl.asp?genre=article&id=doi:10.1007/s10459-011-9339-7
- Dankoski, M. E., Keiley, M. K., Thomas, V., Choice, P., Lloyd, S., Seery, B. L. (2006). Affect regulation and the cycle of violence against women: New directions for understanding the process. Journal of Family Violence, 21, 327-339.
- Keiley, M. K., Dankoski, M. E., Dolbin-MacNab, M., & Liu, T. (2005, June). Covariance structure analysis: From path analysis to structural equation modeling. In D. H. Sprenkle & F. P. Piercy (Eds.), Research Methods in Family Therapy, 2nd Ed. (pp. 432-460). New York: Guilford.
- Dankoski, M.E., Kochar, K., Grannis, S., & Gebke, K.B. (April 2012). Adapting The 360 Degree Evaluation Process for Organizational Development In a Residency Practice Site. To be presented at the Annual Conference of the Society of Teachers of Family Medicine, Seattle, WA.
- Dankoski, M.E., Cordes, S.L. & Bogdewic, S.P. (Nov, 2011). Advancing Women in Women and Science at Indiana University School of Medicine: Vision, Methods, and Outcomes. Poster to be presented at the Association of American Medical Colleges Group on Women in Medicine and Science Annual Poster Session, Denver, CO.
- Welch J.L., Wiehe S.E., Palmer-Smith V., Dankoski M.E. (August 2011). Flexibility in Work Life Policies for "Big Ten" University Medical School Faculty. Poster presented at the 2011 Association of American Medical Colleges Group on Faculty Affairs Annual Conference, Seattle, WA. (peer review)
- Dankoski, M.E. (2011, May). Marriage and Family Therapists in Medical Education. Invited presentation for Marriage and Family Therapy Doctoral Program at Loma Linda University, Loma Linda CA. (invited)
- Dankoski, M.E. (2011, April). Institutionalizing Best Practices in Leadership Recruitment. Poster session presented at the Hedwig van Ameringen Executive Leadership in Academic Medicine (ELAM) Program, Forum on Emerging Issues, Philadelphia PA (invited)